From Stephentown Genealogy: Roots & More
Written by Tina Ordone The following families names can be found in the book, Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memiors. I have chosen the names of families known to have lived in Stephentown. The genealogies listed could help in assembling a more comprehensive genealogy. These genealogies aren't complete, and some may not mention Stephentown, but hopefully they will fill some gaps in your research. The list is alphabetical.
This information is from Vol. II, pp. 523-527 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911)
A Carr Family
This name is illustrious in the military annals of the state of New York, made so by the life and distinguished services of Brevet Major General Joseph B. Carr, a rank and title conferred "for gallant and meritorious services during the war." He was of the second generation of his family in the United States; his parents being natives of Ireland. They came to this country in 1824.
(II) Joseph Bradford, son of William and Ann Carr, was born in the city of Albany, New York, August 16, 1828, died at Troy, February 24, 1895. He grew up in Albany and Troy, in which latter city he was in the tobacco business from 1842 until 1861. He early displayed his love of a military life. On arriving at the age of twenty-one he joined the Troy Guards. He served in the ranks one year, when he was commissioned second lieutenant. He rose rapidly through successive ranks until he was colonel of the Twenty-fourth Regiment New York State Militia, assuming command July 10, 1859, continuing until the firing upon Fort Sumter, when he at once offered his services to his country. April 15, 1861, the Second Regiment New York Volunteers was organized in Troy; on May 10, he was elected colonel; four days later the regiment was mustered into the United States service for a term of two years. On May 24 the regiment camped near Hampton, being the first regiment to encamp on the "sacred soil of Virginia." Their first battle was "Big Bethel," where they were forced to retreat; they were at Newport News until May 10, 1862, when Colonel Carr removed his command to Portsmouth, where he was assigned to the command of a provisional brigade, consisting of the Second and Tenth New York regiments and Howard's light battery. June 10, he was ordered with the Second regiment to report to General McClellan at Fair Oaks. He proceeded to the extreme front, where he was assigned to General Frank Patterson's brigade, Hooker's division, Third Army Corps of the Army of the Potomac. Owing to absence of its regular commander, Colonel Carr was temporarily assigned to the Third Brigade, familiarly known as the Jersey Brigade, which he led throughout the battle of the Orchards, June 25, and through the historical "Seven Days" fighting. On General Patterson's return Colonel Carr resumed command of his regiment at Harrison's Landing. On July 2, by order of General Hooker, he superseded General Patterson's; remaining at the head of the brigade until promoted by President Lincoln upon the personal recommendation of General Hooker "for gallant and meritorious services in the field" to be a Brigadier-General of Volunteers, commission dating from September 7, 1862. His courage and coolness under fire was illustrated at the battle of Bristoe Station; with a murderous storm of shot and shell that burst upon his men, General Carr moved about, cheering them on and encouraging them by his own daring. His horse was shot under him; he coolly mounted an orderly's horse and successfully charged the enemy. He gained on that day the title of "Hero of Bristoe," which ever afterward clung to him. He took part in the battle of Bull Run, August 30 and 31, and at Chantilly, September 3, when the gallant Kearney fell. In these battles he fully sustained his reputation for courageous, daring conduct. September 17, he was transferred to the First Brigade, composed of troops from Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. December 13 and 14, participated in the bloody fight at Fredericksburg, where he lost heavily in officers and men. January 12, 1863, he commanded an expedition to Rappahannock Bridge. March 30, he was officially notified by the Secretary of War that the Senate having failed to act upon his nomination, he had ceased to be an officer of the army. General Hooker, then in command of the Army of the Potomac, proceeded at once to Washington, and on the following day telegraphed General Carr that President Lincoln had reappointed him, to date from March 3, 1863. At Chancellorsville, May 3, after the death of General Berry, he succeeded to the command of Hooker's old division, the white-patched heroes. He sustained the reputation he had made on other hard-fought fields, and was made the subject of special, laudatory mention in the official report by Major General Sickles, the Corps commander. July 1, 1863, Major General Humphreys assumed command of the division and General Carr returned to his brigade. June 15 he moved with the Army of the Potomac to Gettysburg, where on July 2 and 3 he participated in that memorable battle. During that fight he was mounted upon a valuable horse, presented him by friends in Troy, until the noble animal fell, pierced by five bullets, in the fall injuring the general's leg. Exhausted and lame as he was, General Carr refused to retire, but mounted another horse, and continued directing the movements of his brigade. He lost heavily in this battle — nearly two-thirds of his force — while not one of his staff, orderlies or headquarters horses escaped injury. After the battle the division general and officers of the brigade assembled at headquarters and complimented him upon his gallantry. Major-General U. A. Humphreys, in his official report of the battle, spoke of him and said: "I wish particularly to commend to notice the cool courage, determination and skillful handling of their troops of the two brigade commanders, Brigadier-General Joseph B. Carr and Colonel William R. Brewster, and to ask attention to the officers mentioned by them, as distinguished by their conduct." After Gettysburg he was at the battle of Wapping, and in temporary camp at Warrenton, Virginia. October 5 he was assigned to the head of the Third Division, Third Corps, advanced to Warrenton junction, and participated in the battles at Brandy Station and Kelly's Ford. In November he was one of the principal actors in the battles of Locust Grove, Robinson's Tavern, and Mine Run. In April, 1864, on the reorganization of the army, he was assigned to the command of the Fourth Division, Second Corps (Hancock's), retaining command until ordered by General Grant to report to General Butler, commanding the Army of the James, who placed him in command of the exterior line of defense on the Peninsula, headquarters at Yorktown. Early in July, 1864, he was ordered by General Butler to evacuate Yorktown and report to him at the front for assignment. Obeying his order, he was sent to Major-General E. O. C. Ord, who placed him in command of the First and Third Division of the Eighteenth Corps. August 4, he was given command of the First Division of the same corps and occupied the right of the line in front of Petersburg. He retained this command until October 1, when he was placed in command of the defense of the James river, headquarters at Wilson's Landing. Here he remained seven months, during which he built two important forts and strengthened the defenses. May 20, 1865, he was transferred to City Point, where he remained until the close of the war. June 1, 1865, he was brevetted major-general, "for gallant and meritorious services during the war," to rank as such from March 13, 1865. On being relieved of command, he returned to Troy, where he was mustered out of the service. January 25, 1867, he was appointed by the Governor of New York, major-general of the Third Division New York State Militia, where he rendered valuable service during railroad riots of 1877, at Albany, dispersing the mob and restoring peace and order without the sacrifice of life or property. He remained in this command until his death at Troy in 1895. He was given an imposing military funeral on February 27 from St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Troy. The body lay in state and was viewed by thousands, officers of the army, governors, statesmen, representatives of every department of the service, and a vast concourse of his fellow citizens attended. He had won distinction by real work and gallant performance amid the danger of bloody contests, and all "delighted to do him honor." After retiring from official duty as Secretary of State, General Carr entered the manufacturing field as the senior partner of J. B. Carr & Company, operating the extensive chain manufacturing works established in 1866, located between Troy and Lansingburg. He continued at the head of the concern until his death. He became a factor in the development of other business enterprises of Troy. He was a director of the Mutual National Bank; second vice-president and director of the Troy City Railway Company. He was reared in the Catholic church and never departed from that faith. He was a Republican and received the unanimous nomination of his party in convention at Saratoga, September 3, 1879, for Secretary of State. He was elected by a large majority; re-elected in 1881, and again in 1883. In 1885 he was the Republican candidate for Lieutenant-Governor of the state, but was defeated at the polls. He was highly esteemed at home and abroad, many organizations bestowing honorary membership upon him. He was a companion of the Loyal Legion, and a Comrade of Post Williard Grand Army of the Republic; member of the Second Regiment Association, Third Army Corps Association; the Old Guard of New York; the Ninth Regiment Troy Citizens' Corps, Burgess Corps of Albany; vice-president Renssalaer County Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association; trustee of New York State Gettysburg Monument Association; the Troy and Ionic Clubs of Troy.
He married Mary Gould, born in Canada in 1837, who survives him. Children:
Mary, resided with her mother; William Gould (see forward). (III) William Gould, only son of Major-General Joseph B. and Mary (Gould) Carr, was born in Troy, where he was educated. He was interested in the J. B. Carr & Company Chain Works at Troy, and is now in business in New York. He married Hattie Anne French, born in Bradford, New York, daughter of Iras Cressey and Hester Maria (Gowey) French. Children:
Joseph B., born 1893; Marjorie, 1895; both born in Lansingburgh.
Another Carr Family
The history of the English-speaking family of the Carrs and Kerrs is as old as the Norman Conquest of England. One of the followers of William the Conqueror, taken from a roll in "Battle Abbey," bears the name of "Karre." The early posterity of this Norman soldier settled in the north of England, and succeeding generations spread on both sides of the borderland of England and Scotland and afterward into northern Ireland. The name has passed through many changes and variations and is found in the old documents spelled Carre, Carr, Car, Karre, Karr, Kar, Kerre, Kerr, Ker. There is almost as much variation in the colors and mottoes of the coats-of-arms of the various branches of the family. The ancient and original arms — three mullets or etoibles on a chevron; crest: a hart's head, has been generally adhered to, but a wide play given to coloring and motto. The earliest definite Carr records pertaining to the ancestry of the American family go back to four brothers — Benjamin, William, George and James Carr, who were born in London. The eldest son Benjamin is the American progenitor. William Carr married Susan Rothchild and came to America in 1621 on the ship "Fortune," Captain Roger Williams, and was a founder of the town of Bristol, Rhode Island. George Carr married Lucinda Davenport, and came to America in 1620, on the "Mayflower," as ship carpenter. He was granted an island in the Merrimac river that was in possession of the family a great many years. James Carr ran away from home, went to sea, afterward became a sea captain. He was drowned while on a voyage from the West Indies to Boston. It is not known that he had a family.
(I) Benjamin Carr was born in London, England, August 18, 1592. He married Martha Hardington in London, September 2, 1613. They both died in London. Children:
Robert, see forward. Caleb, born December 9, 1616. Richard, January 5, 1621. Andrew, December 5, 1622. (II) Robert, eldest son of Benjamin and Martha (Hardington) Carr, was born in London, England, October 14, 1614, came to America with his brother Caleb (afterward governor of the colony) on the ship "Elizabeth Ann," Captain Roger Cooper, sailing from London, May 9, 1635. These two brothers were both minors and were sent to America after the death of their parents, to live with their uncle, William Carr, who had previously settled in Bristol, Rhode Island. A few years later the two brothers settled in Newport. Robert Carr was admitted an inhabitant in Portsmouth, February 21, 1639, and a freeman in Newport, March 16, 1641. He was one of the original purchasers of Conanicut Island, in Narragansett Bay, containing six thousand acres. He owned considerable property in Newport. He died in 1681, and his will was probated October 4, 1681. The name of his wife is not known nor when she died. Children:
Caleb, see forward. Elizabeth, married (first) James Brown, (second) Samuel Gardiner. Mary, married John Hicks. Robert (2), married Elizabeth Lawton. Esek, married Susanna ————. Margaret, married Richard Hartshorne, an eminent Quaker; settled in Middletown, New Jersey. (III) Caleb, eldest child of Robert Carr, the American ancestor, was born in Newport, Rhode Island, and lived in Jamestown, Rhode Island, on land willed him by his father. He died in 1690. His will, made in Jamestown was dated "Jan 27 1st of William K. of Gt.B." His wife was executrix of the estate. He married Phillis Greene, born October 7, 1658, daughter of Deputy Governor John Greene, of Warwick, Rhode Island. Children:
Robert (2), died young. Caleb (2), see forward. William, married Abigail Baker. Robert, married Hannah Hale. Job, married Mehitable Sherman. Mary. Phillis, married Edward Boss. Mrs. Phillis (Greene) Carr survived her husband and married (second) Charles Dickinson.
(IV) Caleb (2), second child of Caleb (1) and Phillis (Greene) Carr, was born in Jamestown, Rhode Island, March 26, 1679. He settled in West Greenwich, Rhode Island, in 1731, and bought two hundred and eighty-two and one-half acres of land bounded on one side by what was afterwards known as "Carr's Pond." He deeded one hundred acres of land to each of his sons Joseph and William, later deeded land to son Charles and by will gave his property to his five sons. He married (first) April 30, 1701, Joanna Slocum, born in Jamestown, January 2, 1680, died December 30, 1708. He married (second) Mary ————, in 1712. Children by first wife:
Caleb (3), see forward. Joseph, married Percilla ————. Patience, married Joseph Slocum. Mary. William, married Elizabeth Cary. Children by second wife:
Benajah, married Louisa ————. Captain Charles, married Hannah Hopkins, of East Greenwich, Rhode Island. He was a deacon of the Baptist church for thirty years, a member of the assembly, also a sheriff of Kent county at the time thirteen pirates were hung at the yard arms of the ships lying in the bay at East Greenwich. (V) Caleb (3), son of Caleb (2) and Joanna (Slocum) Carr, was born in Jamestown, Rhode Island, November 6, 1702, died in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, 1769. He lived on the farm devised him by his father and added to his possessions. He married Sarah ————, born November 8, 1711, died November, 1798. Children:
Patience, born August 7, 1729. Mary, married Thomas Rogers. Rebecca, married Job Harrington. Susanna, married Nicholas Whitford. Robert, married Rebecca Brayton. Merebah, married Job Greene. Comfort, married Benjamin Greene. Caleb (4), married Abigail Very and settled in Stephentown, New York. Eleazer, see forward. Joshua, married Sarah Stafford. Richmond, married Mary Richmond. Edward; had five wives, but his children, eleven in number, were all by his first wife, Eleanor Spencer. He was one of the founders of the Baptist church at Stephentown, New York. He died at the age of ninety-two years; for a number of years before his death he was both blind and deaf. Thurston, married Audrey Spencer. With this generation the family appear in New York records. (VI) Eleazer, ninth child of Caleb (3) and Sarah Carr, was born in West Greenwich, Rhode Island, April 22, 1746. He settled in Rensselaer county, New York, where he died July 19, 1816. He married Eleanor Stafford, who died October 26, 1813. Children, all born in Rensselaer county, New York:
Stafford, married Catherine Stafford and moved to Saratoga county, New York; issue, ten children. Stutely, settled in Salisbury, New York; he was a minister and held a captain's commission in the New York state militia, signed by Governor Clinton, dated March 5, 1802. He married Sybil Dyer, who bore him sixteen children. He died in Spring, Crawford county, Pennsylvania. Catherine. Eleazer (2), see forward. Eleanor, married Silas Thompson. Olive, married Wanton Sweet. (VII) Eleazer (2), fourth child of Eleazer (1) and Eleanor (Stafford) Carr, was born in Rensselaer county, New York, in 1777, died August 26, 1833. He settled in Salisbury, Herkimer county, New York, where he died. He married Hannah Hakes, born 1779, died November 30, 1857. Children:
Ormenda, married, in Salisbury, Harry Burrell and had issue. Vienna, married, in Salisbury, Thomas A. Rice and had issue. Malvin, born 1806, died 1829. Eleazer (3), see forward. (VIII) Eleazer (3), youngest child of Eleazer (2) and Hannah (Hakes) Carr, was born in Salisbury, New York, December 9, 1811, died September 18, 1869. He was a farmer of Herkimer county. He married, in Salisbury, January 5, 1832, Hannah Raynor. Children, all born in Salisbury, Herkimer county, New York:
Lyman Hakes, May 9, 1834, died June 18, 1868; married, December 8, 1859, Susan L. Starkey and had issue: Mary Ellen, Eleazer Starkey, and Lyman Hakes (2), settled in St. Paul, Minnesota. Eliza, May 2, 1836; married Hinton S. Loyd; children: Effie DeKlyn and Frederick Osborn Loyd. Malvin L., February 9, 1838, married Mary J. Rice and had Ida May, died in childhood; Herman Rice, and Charles J. Carr. Ormenda, February 3, 1840; married Richard E. Whitney; children: Grant Carr and Lillie Whitney. Lewis Eleazer, see forward. (IX) Lewis Eleazer, youngest child of Eleazer (3) and Hannah (Raynor) Carr, was born in Salisbury, Herkimer county, New York, March 10, 1842. He was educated in the town public schools, at Falley Seminary, Fulton, New York, and Fairfield Academy, Herkimer county, from which he was graduated in 1861. He spent two years in farming, but deciding upon the profession of law, he entered Albany Law School, graduating in 1864. He spent one year in the law office of Sherman S. Rogers in Buffalo, New York, where he made the acquaintance and had for a room-mate Grover Cleveland, later twice elected president of the United States. He began the practice of his profession in Port Jervis, New York, in July 1865, remaining there in successful practice until 1893. He became prominent in both the law and politics. For five years, 1869-74, he was in partnership with O. P. Howell, later surrogate of Orange county. In 1871 Mr. Carr was elected district attorney of Orange county, held office for the ensuing three years. During his twenty-eight years of residence in Port Jervis, he served sixteen years of them as a member of the board of education. In 1893 he removed to Albany, New York, having been appointed chief attorney for the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company, especially retained for the legal business of the railroad department of that company. While in Port Jervis from 1872 he was attorney for New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad, having charge of their business in the three adjoining counties of Orange, Sullivan and Delaware. He was successful in his legal practice and stood high among his brethren of the profession. While he confined himself almost exclusively to legal business, he had other outside interests. He was interested in Port Jervis National Bank, which he served as a director for eight years. Since locating in Albany he has confined himself to his railroad practice. He is a member of the State and County Bar associations; the Lawyers' Club, of New York City; the Triton of Canada; the Fort Orange club of Albany. He was prominent in the Masonic fraternity in Port Jervis, where he was high priest of Neversink Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and for seven years eminent commander of Delaware Commandery, Knights Templar. He married, in 1865, Ruth, daughter of Matthias Duke, an officer in the British army, stationed at Kingston, Canada. Her maternal grandfather, John Gallagher, was an officer in the English army, was with Lord Wellington at Waterloo, where the star of the great Napoleon forever set; was with the British forces in the United States during the war of 1812, and was the officer in command at Eastport, Maine, surrendering it to the American forces. Children:
Raymond W., born June 13, 1869. Lewis Eleazer, June 27, 1871. William Duke, October 26, 1874.